PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 5D gimbal

Sebas600
05-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Got my new gimbal today and would like to show it because it's relative cheap and look very well made.
Testing is going to take a while, just crashed this morning for the first time with the F550

This is the guy selling http://ebay.com ---- cnc-kreativ

- Delivery took for ever
- Bad communication from the seller
- Picture shows Savx servo's but Hitec HS-645MG is in the text and delivery
- Gears in picture are black but white is delivered
- No external pot meter
- Not all nuts are self locking and or cheap versions, same for the bolts
- Incorrect weight posted on ebay

+ Relative cheap for this pice of craftsmanship (€340,00)
+ Very well made CNC parts
+ Weight is 507 grams (lighter than AV200 and Cinestar gimbal)
+ Feels very solid

All in all a great buy I think, even with the - points.
Hoping to test it somewhere in the next two weeks.

Mihnea de Vries
05-07-2012, 12:17 PM
It looks decent for that money. How do you set neutral points without potmeters?

ovdt
05-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Sebas,

It would be great to read your experience about the on board video with this mount. I might consider buying it even.

vip
05-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I looked on ebay and could not find anything, do they have a web site?

Sebas600
05-07-2012, 01:48 PM
It looks decent for that money. How do you set neutral points without potmeters?

There is the pot meter in the servo... there is no external pot meter

Sebas600
05-07-2012, 01:49 PM
I looked on ebay and could not find anything, do they have a web site?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kamerahalterung-mit-Zahnriemenantrieb-fuer-grosse-Kameras-5D-Mark-II-usw?item=310384330980&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8252481505958865911#ht_860 wt_1134

but this link won't last forever

anaka
05-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi Sebas600
very interesting gimbal, good price and good weight, I can't waith to read your impressions once you tested in flight

abouth the tilt and roll, to have no external pot is not so bad, the only problem is that the range of rotation is really short, can you measure how many degrees you have for each axis?

Sebas600
05-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Rotation is good. almost 90 degrees on the pitch and 45-50 on the roll.

The gears are well selected for the job, but could have been flattened to save weight.
External pot meters makes shifting the setup for pitch way more easy, just twist the potmeter. now I have to take the belt off.

Will fly next week.

anaka
05-08-2012, 05:06 PM
wow that's good range anyway
one more question, do it has ballbearings? by the pictures it looks don't

Sebas600
05-09-2012, 02:56 AM
Yes ik has ballbarings. 2 for roll and 4 for pitch.
They are placed inside the 6mm POM
But one on the roll isn't fitting well. Going to fix that.
The rest fits very well. No play at all. (is play the correct word for this?)

ovdt
05-09-2012, 03:24 AM
Sebas, can you please also make a video about its physical strenght? About the angles and the stiffness. Thanks

Sebas600
05-09-2012, 03:27 AM
Will do that later. found that the front bracket of the roll has play in it and mailed the seller to see if he will help me out.

anaka
05-09-2012, 06:11 AM
Thanks sabas600

I understood, now we just miss to see how it behaves in flight :D

apejovic
05-11-2012, 06:39 AM
Hi all, I have found this forum searching for somebody with this same Gimbal, I have just bought.

I will, shortly introduce myself:

I live in the Canary Islands and I build multicopters for AP. You can see some of my works/tests on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/supermotoalex/videos

I (http://www.youtube.com/user/supermotoalex/videos)m setting up this Gimbal on my ConnOcto octocopter. It still needs some tuning but I hope it should be ready for a real live test in a few days. Overall it looks really well designed (see attached photos) but has some problems Im trying to fix.

Its design is very similar to the Cinestar, thats why I thought that it would have the possibility to be adaptable so I can always get the perfect COG for my different cameras (like explained in this video http://youtu.be/O127rDKCjd8 ) but unfortunately they have put a screw going trough the roll tube, making it impossible. Sebas I think we should modify that.

The 90 pitch in my opinion is not enough, I really dond understand why didnt they use 360 servos on it.

Im having huge problems choosing a stabilization system for it, as all my existing ones when connected to the provided hitec 645MG servos only move them at half of its movement. I also expected to get the gimbal with the illustrated Savox servos (when ordered there was no text about the hitecs provided) , and Im quite disappointed with these hitecs. I did get the stabilization system to work with them using a travel of 400-2200 instead of the common 1020-1950 I use, but I also need to have manual control over the pitch, and none of my TX is able of moving it trough all its range, I see hitec does sell a device for that http://servocity.com/html/180o_servo_stretcher.html but Im afraid that the first thing to be done on this gimbal is putting a better pitch servo.

Sebas: please keep me informed about your experience with it, I will probably fly it in a few days, and will post the results.

anaka
05-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Hi apejovic and sabas600

after several experiments whit other gimbals i can tell you that puttin an eye on the one you bought it is possible to improve quality, che pulley belt way creates more problems than improvements, especially when you go to stabilize it.

If you want I can open a thread and talk in depht abouth my study.

Sebas600
05-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Hello guys,

I was thinking on putting continuos servos and external pot meter on it.

Only thing is I have on idea on what servo and pot meter... So any help on improving is very welcome.

I've just put a 6,5 V bed on the servo's and think they don't like that at all.

anaka
05-15-2012, 04:45 PM
honestly i think you should avoid to modify the servo
you should try use the servo direct drive way, leave it as it is now, just use a push and pull system and let's see how good it behaves
if you're still not happy can go for faster servo
this should work for sure

Bowley
05-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Anaka, are you saying the direct linkage system such as on the Helibest MC6500 (http://www.foxtechfpv.com/mc-6500-v3-dual-axis-cam-mount-p-395.html) works well given descent servos?
I'm looking for a half descent low cost gimbal and have been looking at the one in question, the mc6500 and the PH CX3 2X mount (http://quadcopters.co.uk/photohigher-cx-3-two-axis-camera-mount-266-p.asp).

anaka
05-16-2012, 04:49 PM
hi bowley, this is what I mean for push&pull setup, it is very common in helicopters and i'm sure it's the best and cheapest way to improve this new gimbal
for even better results i suggest to use aluminium shafts and metallic joints, this helps to reduce "plays" in the structure

the mc6500 looks very close to this solution but unfortunately it looks very light, the components look very thin so i suspect that it has not enough stability, it could produce vibrations and obscilations in windy conditions for instance, obviously i'm basing my opinion only on the picture in your link, i never had one MC6500

Sebas600
05-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Sticking with the belt driven. just need external pot meters. direct drive has low resolution. all good gimbals have belt or cog drive combined with external pot meters to up the resolution.

thanks for your idea but I'm going to stick with mine.

anaka
05-17-2012, 09:51 AM
hi sebas600, mine is only a suggestion, i promote the direct drive becouse I already walked on the belt with potentiometer way for a long time and wasn't totally satisfacted so decided to try direct drive and finally found the results desired
this was my direct experience, now is up to you :D
let us stay up to date, any way you choose, and my best wishes!!

Sebas600
05-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks Anaka,

Ordered a new FC sins the Naza doesn't have a high refresh for the gimbal. and the 90 degree problem.
Ordered Dupro balancer.
Waiting on that now.
Also received the silicone gel grommets for absorbing the vibrations.
Going to install that next week.

When it is installed I'll post some pics

mbsteed
05-19-2012, 12:28 PM
So, has anyone got any flight video with this gimbal? I think the belt driven approach is the only way to go - direct drive introduces jitters with the digital servo resolution. This certainly looks promising - I think Askman is developing a similar gimbal but haven't seen it yet. What about vibration dampening? Does it have rubber grommets or other rubber devices to reduce that? I am in the market so it would be useful to know.

I also noticed this on the ebay site: This seller is currently away until May 6, 2012, - not sure what that means.

anaka
05-19-2012, 03:45 PM
hi mbsteed

check the video below, is made with my gimbal setup, direct drive digital fast servos, square tube arms and custom vibration dampers

was made some months ago in Hyde Park, was windy morning, with 12 mph gasps, the video has no post processing of any kind, just cutted and posted online

http://vimeo.com/37490582

this was shooted with light wind and one arm visible in the shooting, so you can notice how the gimbal works

if you want to see the gimbal check this thread
http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?3753-AnakA-System

in these days i'm working to reduce weight, all the rest is stable enough

Sebas600
05-20-2012, 05:09 AM
So, has anyone got any flight video with this gimbal? I think the belt driven approach is the only way to go - direct drive introduces jitters with the digital servo resolution. This certainly looks promising - I think Askman is developing a similar gimbal but haven't seen it yet. What about vibration dampening? Does it have rubber grommets or other rubber devices to reduce that? I am in the market so it would be useful to know.

I also noticed this on the ebay site: This seller is currently away until May 6, 2012, - not sure what that means.

Belt or cog is the way to go if you want quality footage for commercial use.
I've got some gelmec silicone S grommets for the high frequencies attached to rubber m3 dampeners. (RS components)
And balance your motors and props to perfection to take out most of the vibes. Yes it takes hours and yes if your prop strikes anything you can do it again. DU-Bro prop balancer is great.

apejovic
05-20-2012, 05:37 AM
Belt or cog is the way to go if you want quality footage for commercial use.
I've got some gelmec silicone S grommets for the high frequencies attached to rubber m3 dampeners. (RS components)
And balance your motors and props to perfection to take out most of the vibes. Yes it takes hours and yes if your prop strikes anything you can do it again. DU-Bro prop balancer is great.

+1.

Sebas, did you find out which exact model is the savox servo that was displayed on the gimbals photo when you and me have purchased our gimbals?

I have modified my gimbal a bit and was able to tight the roll belt, now it nearly has no play at all. I will try it during this week as by some reason after the first test my 5a 6v ubec ,I used for the servos, is damaged and is outputting 15v instead of 6v! I should get some new ubecs in a few days and do some test and videos so we can share our experience. If the tests are not succesfull I will change the servos for some savox. My stabilization controller allows me to setup both the servos max, min and center points so I think I could use different servos without having to add some pots.

Sebas600
05-20-2012, 05:48 AM
I've no idea witch where displayed in de ad.
For the ubec I used an 6,5 tracko power, cheap and super lightweight 500ma max
I'll stick with the servo internal pot meter as well for now.
Not really planning on going pro on this one, just good fun.

longgtom
05-21-2012, 07:15 AM
Hi Sebas600,
I noticed you're from the Netherlands. I'm living in Amsterdam at the moment, and having a devil of a time trying to find parts due to not knowing what the Dutch words for certain things are (it took me a while to find a Dutch supplier of CF arms (carbon buisen!). Do you have any favourite Dutch suppliers of parts? Also, what is the Dutch phrase for "silicon grommets"? :)
Thanks!

Sebas600
05-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Hi Longgtom,

It's buizen by the way :shame:

Better not buy CF in the netherlands, it's very expensive here.
I get my CF form China.
Lots of RC stuf from HK
and a good dutch supplier is www.rc-helipower.nl nice guy that knows his stuff, used to work with digitech but also found that he is not a great guy.
The silicone grommets are only available for companies with kvk an btw number (VAT number) from RS components.
http://nl.rs-online.com/web/p/anti-vibration-mounts/0474802/?searchTerm=474-802&relevancy-data=636F3D3126696E3D4931384E525353746F636B4E756D6 265724D504E266C753D656E266D6D3D6D61746368616C6C267 06D3D5E5C647B337D5B5C732D2F255C2E5D5C647B332C347D2 426706F3D313426736E3D592673743D52535F53544F434B5F4 E554D424552267573743D3437342D3830322677633D4E4F4E4 526
If you need more info on translation use google translate or PM me.

apejovic
05-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Ok, yesterday I have tested the gimbal. I will change roll servo with a spare one as I think theres a broken gear, but overall the results are quite good. Video has no post stabilization and no slowmotion. Please take a look and give me your opinions.

http://youtu.be/uc1v9yQgK6c

anaka
05-24-2012, 08:03 AM
hi apejovic, very good quality!
have you any informations on wind conditions? was it calm or windy day?
this gimbal is even more interesting

hexacop
05-24-2012, 08:22 AM
I have two additional questions, which camera are you using and which IMU controller was used for gimbal stabilization?

apejovic
05-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Anaka: it was quite windy, you can see it on the video because the palms moving quite a lot.

Hexacop: Camera is a Sony HDR-700 series, IMU for gimbal is Multiwii in gimbal mode.

hexacop
05-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Hexacop: Camera is a Sony HDR-700 series, IMU for gimbal is Multiwii in gimbal mode.
This is interesting, is your flight controller a multiwii or do you use multiwii in addition to the flight controller, so I would be interested if the multiwii performs better than the MK FC ME2.1 for stabilization purposes?

anaka
05-24-2012, 01:25 PM
ok I can see the palms moving...my impression is that is 4mph wind approximatively, is it like this?
in general looks good result

mbsteed
05-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Where can i order one?

Does it come with servos?

apejovic
05-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Hexacop: No my flight controller is not the multiwii. In mi opnion multiwii is great for acro but still not ready for a good AP with autostability. I use a port mwii on a Free Flight board just for the gimbal stabilization. I have no experience with MK so I can not compare it with my other devices. Using multiwii as a gimbal is a cheap solution if you need to setup not only gains but also rolls min and max and center points, which I have to do for the hitecs provided with the gimbal.

Anaka: I cant tell you the real wind speed as I normally dont measure it, in my head I only got...PERFECT DAY...A BIT WINDY....WINDY....and OHH GOD, WILL THIS FLY IN THIS WIND...:nevreness::nevreness:

That day it was a bit windy, but the main problem of the square where I use to do my tests its shape and proximity to a canyon next to it. Even in some calm days once you get above the level of the houses (two floors) you are exposed to changing winds from many directions. I like that, as normally whn I need to work in other locations everything seems much easier.

Mbsteed: I think sebas has posted the Ebay link before, It does come with servos, but not the savox that appear on the item photo, which are the ones I will end putting on it.

hexacop
05-25-2012, 04:09 AM
I've ordered the gimbal too but without servos. If you like to use your own servos you can ask cnc-kreativ, he can make you an offer without servos.

apejovic
05-25-2012, 07:59 AM
I've ordered the gimbal too but without servos. If you like to use your own servos you can ask cnc-kreativ, he can make you an offer without servos.

That is very interesting, how much was the gimbal with no servos?

Which servos are you planning to use?

hexacop
05-25-2012, 09:09 AM
I will use the Savx SC-1257TG.
please negotiate the price with him :nevreness: will be a fair deal.

apejovic
05-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Are those Savox 360? If so will you use an external pots? Im happy with the gimbal results but I think it will work much better with good servos. Also my biggest problem is that the 90 pitch I get with the hitecs is not enough for the works I use to do. Please keep me informed once you receive the gimbal.

hexacop
05-26-2012, 04:33 AM
I will modify the Savox myself for 360 operation with external multiturn potentiometer. It's not a big deal and can be done easily.

mbsteed
05-31-2012, 12:09 AM
I am a bit naive when it comes to servos pots - could someone explain what those are used for and how one goes about adjusting those and why you would want to do that.

Bowley
05-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Anaka...Followed your advice out of necessity, I dropped my X650 from roughly 100ft and broke among other things the roll gearing on my XA CM130 TPS. In the absence of any available parts, as yet, for these mounts I modified it to a direct linkage push/pull in roll axis. I would actually say this has improved its performance. This makes me think the MC6500 could work well with the right servo's and FC. I wonder it would work with 2 good quality Head Hold Gyros.

hexacop
06-10-2012, 02:38 AM
Yes ik has ballbarings. 2 for roll and 4 for pitch.
They are placed inside the 6mm POM
But one on the roll isn't fitting well. Going to fix that.
The rest fits very well. No play at all. (is play the correct word for this?)

In the meantime I got my gimbal too and can add some comments.
Yes it has got ball bearings but actually those are useless. As the shaft is a simple 3mm thread it can't fit perfectly in the ball bearing and of course this is ends up in play. Also the tilt belt gearwheel has a 3.2mm bore and it is mounted on the the 3mm thread, so it is impossible to mount it 100% centered.
The reason why the wheels are made from white material is that the white material is the little more expensive one called POM (Delrin), the black material is not POM it is a cheaper plastic which is not as stiff as POM is.
The gimbal feels solid enough for a light weight camera like a GH2 or a Nex, but I would not use it for a heavy camera > 1kg
Some of the crews are 5mm too long and it would be better to use self-locking nuts instead of the simple nuts which should be secured with locking varnish.
My conclusion is; yes the gimbal is usable but you must be able to improve yourself.
This is what I plan to improve:
1. replace the screws with shafts
2. add external poti to the tilt axis in conjunction with a modified gear ratio and a Savx servo.
3. replace the simple camera plate by a camera plate mounted on gel type bushes to avoid vibrations

anaka
06-10-2012, 05:58 AM
Hi Bowley, happy to help you ;) i'd like to see some videos

I can suggest one more improvement, just in the case you will need to improve even more the performances, you should use aluminium linkages or bigger plastic linkages, more you make the connections rigid and more you reduce eventual jittering

one more improvement you can make is to have the linkage elements work more perpendicular, in your pictures i can see that they dont work aligned to the servo, this could produce problems in stability

wich electronics do yuo have? MK or Dij?

apejovic
06-10-2012, 07:46 AM
1. replace the screws with shafts
2. add external poti to the tilt axis in conjunction with a modified gear ratio and a Savx servo.
3. replace the simple camera plate by a camera plate mounted on gel type bushes to avoid vibrations

Its great news to hear that you have received the gimbal. Ive been working with it and as you said once "fixed" it works fine. I have upgraded it to 360 pan but for me now its mandatory to change the servos with some decent digital ones. The provided servo due to its pulse setup its only allowing me 45 of manual control (I do get 90 with the stabilization controller) Can you tell me exactly which/where pot and servo should I buy for both axis? Shipping is slow here in the Canary Islands so I could order the parts and then set them up with your help (thanks in advice).

I have added two levels of antivibration, one with rubber m3 male female parts between the gimbal and my lower frame and another one between the 360 platform and the upper part of the frame. For now Im quite happy with the lack of vibrations. I think another interesting way to reduce them would be putting moongel between the gimbals upper tube and the two plates that actually link it to the frame.

Here you can see some of the tests Ive done with the 360 setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRhhdHW1Pbs&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=qZ5XlaWWkBg

hexacop
06-13-2012, 09:26 AM
I'll be using the Savox SC-1257TG servos and modify the tilt servo with a external potentiometer.
You can get 5k potentiometers manufactured by Eti Systems, Bourns or Vishay.
I've replaced the roll servo gear with the larger gear which was mounted on the tilt servo. This modification is needed to reduce the gear ratio of the roll gear and to be able to maintain the roll angle using servos which do not turn 180 like the Hitec servos used by the builder of the gibmal.
Next I've completely replaced the tilt drive with my own belt drive with a ratio of 4:1 to get more resolution on the tilt.
As soon it will be finished I'll post some pictures.

hexacop
06-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Here we go, the modifications as mentioned in the previous thread.
Modified gear ratio on roll
New gear on tilt with external potentiometer on the other side of the camera plate.
The camera plate is mounted on alpha gel pads to absorbe vibrations.

apejovic
06-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Nice work hexacop. I will try to do the same to mi gimbal. I need a buying list, so lets start:

1-Servo: I found this at a good price http://www.ebay.es/itm/Savox-SC-1257TG-Digital-Ultra-Speed-Titanium-Gear-Servo-/380447238481?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58946c2951 but I also noticed that freefly used savox until they have now made their own servos that already come modified for 360. I dont know if these are better than the savox or they have simply rebranded them. These are the ones http://www.kopterworx.com/vmchk/Spares-Cinemastar/CS-360-servo . Let me know if you have any information about those, if not Ill order the 1257TG.

2- Gear: You mention you have put the provided tilt gear on the roll. With my gimbal I got both roll and tilt with the same gear. Can you tell me the specs and where should I order all the gears and belts neccesary for doing your same modification to both the roll and tilt?

3- Pots: Does any 5k potentiometers manufactured by Eti Systems, Bourns or Vishay do the work or should I get them for a certain number of turns?

I hope you will post your tests soon.

Sorry for the questions but I want to be sure before ordering everything.

Heres a quick work Ive done a few days ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7e3OR9MtKs&feature=plcp

TooSlow2Care
06-23-2012, 11:37 AM
i'd love to get my hand one of these... too bad the seller won't ship to the US. ( and has no stock at the moment)

hexacop
06-24-2012, 03:07 PM
1-Servo: agree the Savox is proven to work fine for a reasonable price, I don't now how the servos from kopterworx. (http://www.kopterworx.com/vmchk/Spares-Cinemastar/CS-360-servo)

2- Gear: I get my gears either from
Maedler http://www.maedler.de/Product/1643/1616/986/987.aspx
or GHW Modellbauversand
http://www.modellbauershop.de/antrieb/zahnriemenscheiben-teilung-t-25.php

3- Pots: In general you can take any good 5k potentiometer, you need only one for the tilt axis, multi turn is not necessary in this case.

apejovic
06-30-2012, 07:07 PM
1-Servo: agree the Savox is proven to work fine for a reasonable price, I don't now how the servos fromkopterworx. (http://www.kopterworx.com/vmchk/Spares-Cinemastar/CS-360-servo)

2- Gear: I get my gears either from
Maedler http://www.maedler.de/Product/1643/1616/986/987.aspx
or GHW Modellbauversand
http://www.modellbauershop.de/antrieb/zahnriemenscheiben-teilung-t-25.php

3- Pots: In general you can take any good 5k potentiometer, you need only one for the tilt axis, multi turn is not necessary in this case.

Hexacop thanx for the info:

1: Ordered 2x 1257 TG shipping is slow here in the Canary Islands so they should be here in 10-15 days.

2: Could you send me the reference number of the gears and belt you used for tilt axis from any of the two dealers (maedler or modellbauershop). As I told you before my gimbal came with both tilt/roll gears of the same size (black color not white). You said your tilt had a different ratio so you have moved it to the roll axis. Could you tell me also which belt and gear should I buy from the previous dealer to take advantage of the savox on the roll. Am I right thinking that with a 4:1 ratio with the original unmodified savox I should get 40-45 of rotation?

3: Found these pots here in Spain, 3852A BOURNS POTENTIOMETER 1 TURN AXIS 6mm 5K Ohm, here are the specs: http://descargas.cetronic.es/3852.pdf I suppose this one should work could you confirm me that before ordering?

By the way, how are your progresses with your modified gimbal? Are you happy with the results?

Vielen Danken

Reginak
06-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Hey guys!

I'm not a DIY person, can't someone point me a ready gimbal to carry a 5D? I have a skyjib6 and now i'm building a second machine, a cinestar 8. But I don't want to spend US$1600,00 (I think) on a cinestar 360 gimbal right know. Is there a good gimbal and ready to use?

Thanks

hexacop
07-01-2012, 02:51 AM
@apejovic, You need the following:
Tilt gear: gears with 84 and 16, belt 245
Roll gear: gears with 72 and 18, belt 230
http://www.modellbauershop.de/antrieb/zahnriemenscheibe-azetalharz-teilung-25-16-z.php
http://www.modellbauershop.de/antrieb/zahnriemenscheibe-azetalharz-teilung-25-84-z.php
http://www.modellbauershop.de/antrieb/zahnriemenscheibe-azetalharz-teilung-25-18-z.php
http://www.modellbauershop.de/antrieb/zahnriemenscheibe-azetalharz-teilung-25-72-z.php
http://www.modellbauershop.de/antrieb/zahnriemen-teilung-25-wl-245.php
http://www.modellbauershop.de/antrieb/zahnriemen-teilung-25-wl-230.php
The potentiometer looks good, you can use that.

I did not had much time to test it, but the first impression is good.

@Reginak
you may have a closer look to the AV200 from photohigher.

apejovic
07-01-2012, 09:01 AM
@Hexacop Thank you very much.

Ill order the pots and gears inmediately. Once I get the parts Ill just need to sort out how to modify the savox for continuous rotation, I suppose its done adding 2 x 1k resistors in the place of the internal pot and removing the gears physical limit. Like its done in this tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpO7XMXGzfw&feature=related

It would be nice if you could post some photos of how you adapted the pot on the tilt roll.

Thanks again for being so helpfull.

hexacop
07-02-2012, 06:12 AM
The video you posted is related to some cheap servos, you don't want to do it like that ...
Look at this tutorial how they modify it, the Savox servo is very similar...

https://vimeo.com/28426237 (https://vimeo.com/28426237)

But, in our case we need to remove and unsolder the potentiometer, do not glue it like shown in the video!

The potentiometer is fixed with 2 screws, you can unscrew those with a little screwdriver by pushing the pcb a little bit (1-2mm) to the side. After you have removed the 2 hidden screws you can pull out the electronics (including the motor and the potentiometer) from the servo case.
After that you can unsolder the potentiometer and solder a 3 wire cable (servo cable).
Be aware of the potentiometer turn direction and where you connect the 2 poles of the potentiometer. If you reverse them your servo will turn into wrong direction and will damage the potentiometer...

apejovic
07-11-2012, 07:47 PM
@Hexacop: I have received the savox servos but unfortunately I still had no time for ordering the other parts. I know the setup will not be complete until I get the rest and tilt will be much shorter in travel (130/2=65 against the actual 180/2= 90) without the 360 mod + pot, but in a few days I will exchange the hitecs for the savox just to see how much improvement the savox will provide against the hitecs (I hope it will improves a lot)

Ive been quite busy lately including some tests done at 2300 meters, heres a small reel made by some of these works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIpJxBTVPLU&feature=plcp

I hope you find some time and show me your tests with the improved gimbal.

apejovic
07-11-2012, 08:20 PM
@hexacop: Do you know which is the recommended hz setup for the savox? I have read they can handle 333hz and was plannning to use them at 300hz and 6v. I suppose mid pulse should be 1500 s with min and max values of 1100-1900 s. What is your setup?

Thanks

Thomb
09-09-2012, 05:46 PM
did you guys noticed hes now selling the gimball with the pots?

Bowley
09-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Hi Bowley, happy to help you ;) i'd like to see some videos

I can suggest one more improvement, just in the case you will need to improve even more the performances, you should use aluminium linkages or bigger plastic linkages, more you make the connections rigid and more you reduce eventual jittering

one more improvement you can make is to have the linkage elements work more perpendicular, in your pictures i can see that they dont work aligned to the servo, this could produce problems in stability

wich electronics do yuo have? MK or Dij?

Hi Anaka, just noticed your reply there, it slipped by me.
Thanks for your suggestions,
I eventually managed to get some spare parts for the gimbal so I have gone back to using roll gears.

Thomb
09-09-2012, 06:05 PM
I can join the club, just bought it with the pots etc. he now has a webshop with paypal and will ship worldwide: https://eshop.t-online.de/epages/Shop46572.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Shop46572/Categories/Kamerahalterung

anaka
09-09-2012, 06:28 PM
hi bowley i'll be curious to see some videos ;)

hi thomb, the new model with pots looks well done, can you tell you impressions?
have some videos mado with it?

this model looks very good..i'm really tempted to buy one, and probably i'm not the only one :D

Bowley
09-09-2012, 07:57 PM
I have only been using this mount for AP Anaka. never used it for video beyond testing it out in the garden. closest I've come to anything usable was way back when I was using the XA FC1212 AHRS once I had changed out the roll servo for a savox and dialled up the refresh rate as suggested by Colorado Bob. It was a fairly calm day but the video was still jittery. I actually find it works best with really low gains, lose the level horizon but it doesnt jitter as much.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?1107-XAircraft-Camera-Mounts-!!!-In-Stock-!!!-XAircraft-USA/page5&highlight=xaircraft+camera+mount

Thomb
09-10-2012, 06:26 AM
hi bowley i'll be curious to see some videos ;)

hi thomb, the new model with pots looks well done, can you tell you impressions?
have some videos mado with it?

this model looks very good..i'm really tempted to buy one, and probably i'm not the only one :D

dont have it yet will post some pics when i have it. will make some improvements and need to make it fit a droidworx rail with 360 pan and a custom landinggear

Thomb
09-10-2012, 11:59 AM
found some movies of the guy who sells them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Ftc5UWZvQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVrBS-W0jp0&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmNvTWZZa24&feature=plcp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Ftc5UWZvQ)

anaka
09-10-2012, 01:11 PM
if these videos are raw data from 5D they look good!
the price is really good, quality as well..can't waith to see more!

hexacop
09-11-2012, 11:20 AM
I can't imagine the videos are raw data, I gave up to tune the gimbal and sold it again, it did not work as expected.
The quality is really poor, he is using the cheapest plastic, very weak and definitely not suitable for a heavy camera like a 5D.
Poor screws, none of the screws is secured, the gears are self made by him, even there he is not using an industrial quality gear.
The servos he is using are not usable at all and I have doubts the gimbals he has got now with external pots will work much better.

anaka
09-11-2012, 11:37 AM
I can't imagine the videos are raw data, I gave up to tune the gimbal and sold it again, it did not work as expected.
The quality is really poor, he is using the cheapest plastic, very weak and definitely not suitable for a heavy camera like a 5D.
Poor screws, none of the screws is secured, the gears are self made by him, even there he is not using an industrial quality gear.
The servos he is using are not usable at all and I have doubts the gimbals he has got now with external pots will work much better.

i'm very sad for what you say hexacop..
let's waith and see some feedbacks about this new model :|

Sebas600
12-19-2012, 02:36 PM
So I've returned my old one and got something back.
Not what he said it would be.

No pot on the roll.
So now made that myself.
what is nice is the alphagel block under the camera butttttt when doing a shot down your cam can go down as well!
It's not secure at all and needs modifying as all the stuff.
The servo's are wayyyyyy to slow! he used high torque servo's! but you need ultra fast.
And than combined it with the large gears! useless.
Takes only 6 volts not 7,4
He gives no service what so even and is slow and unfriendly in all communications if you ever get anything back at all.

He has a new "pro" one.

But hey! it's still cheap

Sebas600
01-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Changed out the hitec servo's for savx!
The hitec do not work with wkm. Bouncey as #$ and so totally useless.

The new savx work flawless, no jitter and bounce, but not fast enough on 6v and will try 7,2v tomorrow

Was told my gps will be back soon, after way to long....

Hope to get some footage then. (About time...)