Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop Calc and DJI Stock Motors

Prop Calc and DJI Stock Motors

I am trying to input data into propcalc and get hung up on motor selection. It appears every possible motor selection is available except the stock DJI 920kv motors? I cant seem to find the required data on these motors to input it manually either.
    I wanted to compare the performance of my F450 stock setup to some Tiger motors but unable to get sufficient DJI motor data to input?

Anybody? Thanks

Anybody?.......Crickets ..chirp ..........chirp

Ziptie Relocation Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaja View Post
    I am trying to input data into propcalc and get hung up on motor selection. It appears every possible motor selection is available except the stock DJI 920kv motors? I cant seem to find the required data on these motors to input it manually either.
    I wanted to compare the performance of my F450 stock setup to some Tiger motors but unable to get sufficient DJI motor data to input?

Anybody? Thanks

My first question is why change the motors? Keep them, use the 10"x3 new DJI props on 4S and you'll be happy as a hog. Second input is the prop calc is not for multirotors and you won't get accurate data from that, it's for airplanes. Multirotors fly more like helicopters so they are basically in a constant state of hover versus an airplane where they are moving forward making the prop much more efficient. If you want prop data for a multi-rotor use the eCalc multi-rotor website. http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.htm?ecalc&lang=en

I don't know the DJI motor data other than they are likely something like this.
    http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._version_.html

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply. I used your link for eCalc multirotor website and still does not list DJI under motors? Im curious as to why it would not be listed as DJI Motors are abundant and popular. I am currently running 3S 3300 batteries and Gem Fan 1045 props. I might take your advice and step up to 4S and those 10 x 3 props you recommended.

Thanks

Ziptie Relocation Expert
    Thanks for your reply. I used your link for eCalc multirotor website and still does not list DJI under motors? Im curious as to why it would not be listed as DJI Motors are abundant and popular. I am currently running 3S 3300 batteries and Gem Fan 1045 props. I might take your advice and step up to 4S and those 10 x 3 props you recommended.

Thanks
    I sent you a link on some 900Kv motors, use the information from that only input 920Kv instead. I hear 4S on the 10x3.8 props from DJI works very well and gives you good flight time. There are going to be quite a few people who disagree with me on this but Gemfan props in my personal opinion are garbage. The new DJI 10x3.8 for those high speed 920Kv DJI motors I hear are excellent.

Thanks again,
    I will use the data you provided. I have some 10 x 5 Gem Fan carbon fiber Graupner style coming soon. I will give those a try on my 3S batteries.

Ziptie Relocation Expert
    Thanks again,
    I will use the data you provided. I have some 10 x 5 Gem Fan carbon fiber Graupner style coming soon. I will give those a try on my 3S batteries.

No problem, the Graupner 10x5 style carbon fibers for sure need to be on 3S with the 920Kv motors. The higher speed motors won't like the deeper pitch props on 4S and they'll get hot. You can get away with 10x3 DJI style props on 4S though. Since you already have 3S batteries you can stick with those to save some money I personally prefer lower KV motors with bigger props on 4S because of the increased flight time and higher voltage efficiency plus less heat on my parts etc.

Thanks,
    I would like to built up an FPV rig. Still have a lot to learn about prop/engine/batt combos. I was looking at the Tiger 2216-11 900kv but need more research. Also, I live in the Northwest and have a dozen fir trees that extend 100 feet. Thinking I might not have the coverage I needed for FPV flight from home. Not to mention the return to home feature is lower than my trees (RTH= 20 meters/65 feet)..yikes. I learned on a Heli-max sq1 but is too small now. I was wondering if I built up a F330 if it would be significantly more nimble than my F450 when flying on my 1/2 acre lot with enormous trees?

Futaba 8TFGH
    Flame wheel 450 kit
    Turnigy 3S3300 mHa batteries
    890 Grams AUW

Ziptie Relocation Expert
    Thanks,
    I would like to built up an FPV rig. Still have a lot to learn about prop/engine/batt combos. I was looking at the Tiger 2216-11 900kv but need more research. Also, I live in the Northwest and have a dozen fir trees that extend 100 feet. Thinking I might not have the coverage I needed for FPV flight from home. Not to mention the return to home feature is lower than my trees (RTH= 20 meters/65 feet)..yikes. I learned on a Heli-max sq1 but is too small now. I was wondering if I built up a F330 if it would be significantly more nimble than my F450 when flying on my 1/2 acre lot with enormous trees?

Futaba 8TFGH
    Flame wheel 450 kit
    Turnigy 3S3300 mHa batteries
    890 Grams AUW

They are very good motors no doubt however, the Sunnysky motors are superior in build quality given the tests I've seen that record how balanced the motors are which I personally assume results in build quality not to mention they are cheaper. I don't see a reason to change motors if you are using the DJI motors which are solid motors too, can you explain why you want to do that?

You may not have enough coverage to fly on your land in what regards? Video? Transmitter? Any of those things can be overcame and I can help you with that if you let me know what you have now and/or what exactly you are up against aside from some trees. For example, the lower the frequency you use for video the better penetration it'll have and UHF for your radio won't have any issues at all.

Keep in mind the Naza return to home feature is only 20 meters if you are flying below 20 meters when you lose radio signal. If you are flying above that then it will return to home at whatever altitude you were last at and only after it's hovered for a bit while you try to re-establish communication.

Your F450 will be PLENTY nimble for FPV or sport flying, you don't need to build an F330 unless you are looking for something really wild. Your F450 with 8" or 9" props on 4S should be plenty wild enough for FPV and honestly you don't really want that unless that's your entire purpose. check out my videos, that was done with an F550 and for me at least that's wild enough I flew my F550 through the woods many times with no issues in dodging trees and obstacles.

Helloman 1976,

I will try to be more clear in writings. Built up a F450 from the kit a month ago. Very addictive! No FPV yet. Had to learn how to solder Bla bla....
    I recently retired early from the airlines and have been fascinated with the technology as it pertains to Multicopters. The systems I have been using on the big jets is much the same as the multicopter controllers ( gps, gyros, barometer etc.) That said, I am used to sitting inside the craft which is a different orientation than RC flying especially the longitudinal axis or rolling moment. I am by no means an expert. I have been practicing flying in manual mode since that seems to be the most challenging.

My 8TFGH transmitter, I have -20 expo ailerons and elevator with dual rate dialed down to 80. This helps as it is very sensitive especially introducing a little up elevator in higher speed flight. Rears up like a horse when you pull back on the reins. Practice I guess. Must have 50 cycles on the batteries and have hugged a few bushes but able to stop the props (CSC manuever) quick enough to not incur any damage. Broke my first prop the other day plus one of the legs as I lost orientation and slowly drifted into a 100 foot fir tree. All in all pretty tough bird!.

As mentioned in a earlier post I have lots of tall trees when I fly at home and the F450 is a bit of a beast in close quarters swinging 10" props. I was wondering if the DJI 330mm frame be noticeably more agile and nimble in the tighter environments for non fpv or if its worth it?

The only knowledge I have concerning FPV systems is what I have garnered from this website which has been very helpful.

Lots to learn about FPV before taking the plunge. As mentioned I would like to fly FPV from my home which is a treed (100 footers) .5 acre lot but want to do it right and be safe. I need to learn what fpv systems play nice with each other and if reception will be adequate to accomplish this. Also, I would like to shoot video of the many scenic places the Northwest has to offer (Oregon Coast etc.). I think I will get my Ham radio license as well.

My plan is to immerse myself slowly into this hobby and keep flying non fpv until late summer or early fall and then build up an FPV rig. When the time comes your recommendations on equipment would be helpful.

Kind Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast