Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti Vibration mount

Defies Physics!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone tried the rubber stand-offs that come with the MK? just an idea.

Bill
    Octo custom, Heavy Hexa, Octo-Coax, with all the whistels.
    Gravity is NOT my friend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    Did anyone tried the rubber stand-offs that come with the MK? just an idea.

Bill
    I tried them on the HiSight II on the Hoverfly quad which is a Hexa frame modified to only have 4 arms, it actually made the vibration factor worse to the point where I started getting the jello effect on the GoPro where there was none before. Removing the mounts and adding some extra bracing across the frame to the center of the mount made it much better, so removing the ability to flex actually lessened the vibration as seen in the recorded video.

In this case the mount is very light and narrow and putting a camera on it effectively turned it into a pendulum. Widening the mounting deadened the pendulum effect and removed a lot of visible vibration.

Ken
    A bad day flying FPV is better than a good day at work, crashes included...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has any one tried the artificial skin stuff thats like a tough jelly?!! Its only about 5mm thick.. I think I have got some in an old exped first aid kit.. mmm Ill go try and find it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Droider View Post
    Has any one tried the artificial skin stuff thats like a tough jelly?!! Its only about 5mm thick.. I think I have got some in an old exped first aid kit.. mmm Ill go try and find it.
    No, but I have tried the blue Align gel pad material used for mounting gyros and other vibration sensitive devices on RC Heli's, didn't help the Vixia at all. This material is roughly 5mm thick as well and is a reuseable adhesive surface on either side of a soft rubbery silicon gel type material.

Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive just ordered some to give it a whirl. I need a week off work to do all the testing I want to but I am back down on London again next week Yawn... I hate the place!

Defies Psychics
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some months ago I saw talk of using Tempurpedic mattress foam. I got as far as ordering a free sample but never tried it on a bird.

http://www.tempurpedic.com/our-compa...mation-kit.asp

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    crahs,
    what's the scheme to try with the foam? squishing it between the camera and mounting plate?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the antivibration foam made for wrapping receivers in RC airplanes under the GoPro when I put it on the Hoverfly quad. The HiSight mount isn't tall enough to use the GoPro case so it has to ride naked on the platform. A layer of the white foam wrap under the GoPro with a velcro battery strap around it and the platform works well to keep the cam in place and reduce the amount of vibration that makes it through. It's not perfect, there's still a tiny bit of vibes that can be seen in the video occasionally but it works much better than just strapping the camera straight to the platform.

On the Droidworx the GoPro case can be mounted to the Pro Mini paltform using the tripod mounting foot, I sandwich a 1/4 inch thick piece of silicon rubber RC exhaust tubing between the mounting foot and the platform and that seems to soak up the remaining vibes that make it to the mount. Tried the same thing with the Vixia and it didn't seem to help much if at all.

Ken

Defies Psychics
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart in NJ View Post
    crahs,
    what's the scheme to try with the foam? squishing it between the camera and mounting plate?
    Good question. I don't know. I've seen many different opinions on vibration isolation and I have yet to see one 'right' way to do it that works for everyone.

In my opinion, the first step to reduce camera vibration is to balance the motors and props as perfectly as possible. I see a lot of people skipping that step.

Defies Physics!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Good question. I don't know. I've seen many different opinions on vibration isolation and I have yet to see one 'right' way to do it that works for everyone.

In my opinion, the first step to reduce camera vibration is to balance the motors and props as perfectly as possible. I see a lot of people skipping that step.
    That's a good idea balancing the motors and props. OK I have a prop balancer and that is no problem, but how do you balance a motor with out a strobe light?

Cheers
    Octo custom, Heavy Hexa, Octo-Coax, with all the whistels.
    Gravity is NOT my friend

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast