Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Futaba or Hitec or who?? Need HELP picking a radio to support GPS RETURN TO HOME NAZA

Ziptie Relocation Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Futaba or Hitec or who?? Need HELP picking a radio to support GPS RETURN TO HOME NAZA

I need some advice on picking a radio. Right now I have invested a lot of money in my multicopter, as many or all of you have too lol I want to make sure my investment is as safe as possible which is the idea behind this post etc. I want to be able to fly out of "range" and have my copter return to my location and I have the Naza stuff to support that or will anyway once I get this radio. I have had my eyes on a brand new Futaba 8FGH for $299 I found with no receiver. I also found a brand new Aurora Hitec for $249. I like that the Hitec has battery and telemetry data and also supports failsafe or RTH for Naza. The question is, which one is better over the long run and/or for UHF? I'm eventually moving to Ez UHF for UHF or a long range system for that matter in the future so keep that in mind. Anyone who's owned both? Your help is appreciated as I'm about to make a major purchase that I'll be stuck with for a long time. For reference I currently use a ANCIENT 6EX Futaba that I love but does not support failsafe other than the crappy throttle hold failsafe. Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Futaba is probably your best bet, I know little about other radios, I have been a futaba guy for as long as I can remember... Is there a reason your going with the "H" or helicopter version of the radio? DJI states not to use helicopter mode, but saying that, some will say they have seen no issues running in either mode.

All you really need, is a radio with at least 2 x 3 positions switches, of which something like the T8J's have. The Futaba 8FGH also should have them, but as I said, stay clear of the "H" versions, you're probably looking for the "A" version of the radio.

Last edited by OneStopRC; 02-04-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    If I had a signature, this is where I would put it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal favorite, Futaba t8fg. S-bus is the way to go, eliminates a lot of wires. The rest of the open ports on the recviever you can then use to power led's.
    I used several Spectrum radios on my heli's, but when I went to multi, Futaba was my choice.

Ziptie Relocation Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deanot View Post
    Futaba is probably your best bet, I know little about other radios, I have been a futaba guy for as long as I can remember... Is there a reason your going with the "H" or helicopter version of the radio? DJI states not to use helicopter mode, but saying that, some will say they have seen no issues running in either mode.

All you really need, is a radio with at least 2 x 3 positions switches, of which something like the T8J's have. The Futaba 8FGH also should have them, but as I said, stay clear of the "H" versions, you're probably looking for the "A" version of the radio.

Very good that you noticed that but I use the H version specifically in airplane mode because in the H version you have the ratchet action on the throttle whereas the airplane version the throttle has no resistance. I, like probably most of us, are X heli pilots so we fall back on old habits I guess. But yes, do not use your radio in Heli mode but you can use a Heli controller in airplane mode

Ziptie Relocation Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomstoy2 View Post
    My personal favorite, Futaba t8fg. S-bus is the way to go, eliminates a lot of wires. The rest of the open ports on the recviever you can then use to power led's.
    I used several Spectrum radios on my heli's, but when I went to multi, Futaba was my choice.

Thanks for the advice! I was probably going to end up with the Futaba so that's good to know. I have no idea what S-bus is, can you give me a brief run down of what you can/can't do with it? What is it? I'll try to read about it as well.. Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a DX 10t and love it. The only issue is that it doesn't have S-bus but that is not an issue unless you have an octo and plan on using the camera gimbal controls from the DJI flight controller.

Ziptie Relocation Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbsteed View Post
    I use a DX 10t and love it. The only issue is that it doesn't have S-bus but that is not an issue unless you have an octo and plan on using the camera gimbal controls from the DJI flight controller.
    Dang! That's quite a radio you have there, let me know when you're gonna sell it lol j/k. Looks like there is lots of love for either Futaba or Spectrum which is cool I guess. Not much love for Hitec though, maybe because they're smaller? Oh well, I'm going to go ahead with the 8FG by Futaba. Thanks to all!

Full Blown Hucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO - The Futaba 8FG Super is an excellent choice..... Configuration using s.bus is easy with the R6208SB Futaba receiver..... see Jon DesJardins Youtube videos on that.
    But if you go with less than an 8 channnel receiver you might face some extra challenges with configuring failsafe modes as I did with a 6 channel R617. (7 channels might work out though)
    There are also some FrSky receivers that claim to be Futaba FASST compatible and s.bus compatible at better pricing but binding to Transmitter is different and might not be possible with some of the receiver models.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by helloman1976 View Post
    Very good that you noticed that but I use the H version specifically in airplane mode because in the H version you have the ratchet action on the throttle whereas the airplane version the throttle has no resistance. I, like probably most of us, are X heli pilots so we fall back on old habits I guess. But yes, do not use your radio in Heli mode but you can use a Heli controller in airplane mode
    My Throttle stick is a ratchet already, it is a T8JA
    Futaba sporting the S-Bus which can be used for Heli if needed. Anyway, I think you will be fine with the Futaba, easy to use, easy to set up, not too many gimmicks.
    If I had a signature, this is where I would put it....

Ziptie Relocation Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deanot View Post
    My Throttle stick is a ratchet already, it is a T8JA
    Futaba sporting the S-Bus which can be used for Heli if needed. Anyway, I think you will be fine with the Futaba, easy to use, easy to set up, not too many gimmicks.

Oh ok, I had heard that the aircraft version had no ratchet action...doesn't matter honestly they are exactly the same radio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast