HobbyKing goes "Pro" with the DYS D800 X8 HL Copter.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
View attachment 25723

When one hears HobbyKing, one things of fun toys, micro quads and cheap batteries. But usually "Pro" is not part of the conversation. Well today I noticed a "Professional" grade X8 Heavylift Copter from DYS listed. And for $1397.59 it seems like a decent value.

So the big question, who any of you try it out?!?!

The DYS D800 series is an ultra-high quality variation on the more usual multirotor frames with a compliment of class-leading features that give this range unrivalled capability.

The D800 X-8 comes prebuilt from high quality metal and carbon fiber components simply leaving you to add your choice of flight controller and camera package to make up your professional standard aerial video platform.

The center frame has twin battery support platforms, provisions for your FPV equipment and an integrated power distribution board which is supplied ready-wired and features PWM signal support to the flight controller. It also supports the aluminum, CNC machined housing of the screw type retractable landing gear on the lower plate.

One of the more surprising features of this multirotor is the speed with which it can be assembled and broken down again; the quick release arms making on-site assembly simple and the gold plated contacts ensure a long lasting, secure interface with the main body of the D800 X-8. These arms are fully removable in contrast to the more commonly seen foldable types, allowing this 800mm multirotor to be packed into a 430 X 300 x 200mm box for transportation.

The D800 X-8 comes pre-assembled with 4114 400kv motors, 40A HV ESC’s, Electric screw type retracts and is ready for you to install your flight controller.

The DYS D800 X-8 is a ground breaking multirotor platform capable of carrying your DSLR camera setup with ease and a must for anyone looking to upgrade to pro level.

Features:
• Quick assembly/breakdown for easy transport or deployment
• Gold Plated self-aligning connections with cam lock quick release O-ring sealed arms
• Pre-built and ready for your flight controller and camera package
• 4114 400KV motors & 40A HV ESC’s pre fitted and configured
• Electric screw type retractable landing gear
• All metal and carbon construction
• 430 x 300 x 200mm packed size

Specs:
Frame: D800 X-8
Wheelbase: 800mm
Motor: BE4114/400KV
ESE: HV40A
Propeller: 1555
Landing gear: Retractable screw type
Total weight of frame: 2.8KG (including motors, ESCs and Propellers, without battery)
Battery: 22.2V (6s) LiPoly >6000 mAh
Flight time: 12min +
Maximum payload: 6.5KG

Included:
D800 X-8 frame
8 x 4114 400kv motors pre-installed
8 x 40A HV ESC pre-installed
Electronic retractable landing gear
8 x 15x5.5 carbon props
PDB and retract manager

Required:
Flight controller
6 Channel (min) R/C system
6s LiPoly flight battery (6000 mAh min)
Charger

More info: HERE

Attachments

• 81790s3.jpg
    81790s3.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 646
  • 81790s5.jpg
    81790s5.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 530
  • 81790s6.jpg
    81790s6.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 450
  • 81790s7.jpg
    81790s7.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 417
  • 81790s8.jpg
    81790s8.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 432
  • 81790s9.jpg
    81790s9.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 603
  • 81790s10.jpg
    81790s10.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 425

jfro

Aerial Fun
One reason I would never consider this DYS x8 is parts. They do not sell parts to some of their products. If parts were available, I'd consider it...

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
I'll test it if you buy it for me ;)

One reason I would never consider this DYS x8 is parts. They do not sell parts to some of their products. If parts were available, I'd consider it...

Duh, you just order a couple more for spares...

jfro

Aerial Fun
I'll test it if you buy it for me ;)

Duh, you just order a couple more for spares...

If you mean buy a couple complete systems so you can get a part or two if you need it, that's not the kind of manufacturer I want to buy from unless they are the only game in town or they have something so much better than everyone else, that I just have to have it. If your talking about something very inexpensive, then sure, but hundreds of dollars, it's not for me.

If a manufacturer wants to be successful, they generally have to make parts available It's just common sense, common business practice as taught in business class 101, and in many countries, it's the law.

As I said earlier, I wouldn't consider this until I see that the parts are available for when something breaks. Pretty simple concept in my mind.

Filthy

Decent point @jfro. But I thought DYS actually is the OEM manufacturer for other brands as they have their own factory. So I'd guess they're doing fine. As many of us are painfully aware, customer service varies greatly among Chinese companies. I have some really great experiences with a few and absolutely nothing from others. This looks to be their own branded version of the the gen 1 Gryphon Dynamics X8 airframe. And according to the reports I've read of those that have and use them professionally, word is, their they're pretty decent (or at least as good as the original). The weakness being the pins where the arms connect. Same exact issue as on the GD frame though. Aftermarket reinforcements are available from a bunch of guys.

I hear you though about spare parts availability. This is pretty huge in my book as well since I have to get 100% of everything I need shipped in. For this kind of price, I'd almost being willing to just chance 'em to have as a back up X8. My current backup is a flat octo and it doesn't handle the daily trade winds that we get here. I'm not sure what the latest is, but Jason Lee over in Cali (skypirates.com I think?) was stocking these awhile ago. He was really helpful in answering questions and 2 of my friends that live near him have bought from him. Say he's just as solid in person.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
If you mean buy a couple complete systems so you can get a part or two if you need it, that's not the kind of manufacturer I want to buy from unless they are the only game in town or they have something so much better than everyone else, that I just have to have it. If your talking about something very inexpensive, then sure, but hundreds of dollars, it's not for me.

I was being facetious since buying multiple units would offset the low price ;)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I entertained this idea before deciding to freshen up my Vulcan parts like @SleepyC did.

The drawback that I saw, aside from the lack of parts supply, was that it is not available in frame only form. I already own my motors/ESCs - and would like to continue using them.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
There is no reason to go via CopyKing for a cheap and good frame. AirCraft-World.com has the complete line of Gryphon Dynamics frame in-stock and by far the cheapest.

They are selling Gryphon Dynamic X8 for almost the same price as the copy versions. check it out:
http://www.aircraft-world.com/en/search?q=gd-&c=&so=priceD

While I can understand the frustration you must feel as a retailer trying to compete with the low prices of knock-offs, I think the "reason to go with Copy King..." would likely be price. Also, this is not a hobby king branded product, but rather a Dys product - who has made some decent stuff in the past.

The price of the frames you linked to are "almost the same," but without the full motor/ESC kit and propellers that are included with the Dys rig.

I would personally prefer to not use the DYS electronics - but I think it's fairly plain to see that there is a possible incentive for some consumers.