MAPIR compact survey/mapping cameras

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Just saw this out on the interweb and thought it would be interesting for the community here at MultiRotorForums.com.

Same size as the GoPro and available in a variety of pre-filtered options, so that multiple cameras can be flown each with a different filter for whatever application you're working on.

http://mapir.camera/

This is a new product so they're currently taking pre-orders and while I'd never recommend someone participate in pre-orders , it's an interesting new product so do your own due-diligence.

12 MegaPixel (4,032 x 3,024 px 24 bit JPG) Captured Every 3 Seconds
6.83 cm/px Ground Sample Distance from 120 m (~400 ft) AGL
60° HFOV (31mm), f/2.8, Extreme Low Distortion (Non-Fisheye) Glass Lens
47g (1.7 oz) [Without Battery], 64g (2.3 oz) [With Battery]
59.2 x 41.0 x 29.8mm (Length x Height x Depth)
Removable Li-ion Battery (900mAh) [Not Required When USB Powered]
Micro SD (Up To 32GB Card), ≈ 8,400 Pictures
Auto White Balance & ISO - Adjustable Exposure, JPG Quality and Sharpness

Built in 1.5" Color LCD Screen for On-Site Reviewing

All Products Are Pre-Order. We Expect to Begin Shipping Middle of July.

MAPIR Camera - Visible Light$250.00 USD

MAPIR Camera - NDVI Blue+NIR$300.00 USD

MAPIR Camera - Infrared Light$300.00 USD

MAPIR Camera - Red Light$300.00 USD

MAPIR Camera - Green Light$300.00 USD

MAPIR Camera - Blue Light

PeauProductions

Hello all, this is Nolan, owner of Peau Productions. As the OP mentioned we launched our new MAPIR camera line today. We are taking from our years of work on modifying the GoPro Hero and other action cameras and have created a turn-key, simple, affordable mapping solution. As mentioned, yes we are doing pre-orders, only because we have had so many people asking to be first in line on the first batch of cameras we thought we'd open the flood gates a little early.

I wanted to briefly explain a major benefit of using our MAPIR cameras for multi-spectral imaging vs some of the competition out there. The idea is that each camera has it's own filter installed, and you can buy only the spectral bands that you plan to use. This not only reduces costs but also payload, something important in the UAV industry where flight times are so reliant on weight.

Here is a summary of each of the filters:
Visible RGB: This camera sees visible light just like our eyes do. A visible light filter is used for capturing a normal RGB color image for surveying and comparing to a NDVI graded one. It can be used for orthophotography where many photos are combined to generate a 3D model.
NDVI Blue+NIR: This camera sees both Blue and Infrared (IR) Light with no cross talk between bands. It is most often used as a single camera NDVI solution for assessing where plants are located in agricultural surveying. By processing the resulting image, you can see the locations of varying levels of vegetation health and where there are no plants.
While the results from this dual-band camera are superior to our competitors, this camera does not show plant health as accurately as an Infrared and Red Light dual camera setup.
Infrared: This camera sees Infrared (IR) Light, which our eyes cannot see, yet plants reflect. Often used in NDVI analysis for comparing to a Red Light camera or in ENDVI with separate Red and Green Light cameras.
Red: This camera sees only Red Light, which is commonly used with an Infrared Light (IR) camera for assessing plant health (NDVI).
Green: This camera sees only Green Light, which is commonly used with an Infrared Light and Red Light camera for assessing plant health (ENDVI).
Blue: This camera sees only Blue Light, which is commonly used for combining with a Red and Green Light camera to produce a Visible Light (RGB) image.

We see two popular quad camera setups:
1) Visible + NDVI + Red + Infrared
2) Red + Green + Blue + Infrared

We have launched with a few mounts built to work on the 3DR SOLO. We have a single static suspension mount for both the gimbal bay and accessory bay. We also have a larger Quad mount that holds 1, 2, 3 or 4 cameras at once.

If anyone has questions about the MAPIR cameras or accessories please let me know.

Bartman

@Kilby will be interested in this

thanks for stopping by to introduce yourself and provide a quick explanation Nolan. Good luck with the rollout, we hope it all goes well for you!

Bart

Kilby

This does look pretty interesting. Thanks for posting it @Bartman . @PeauProductions , Do you have an plan on allowing a trigger input? This would be good for those that use something like a Pixhawk to trigger then camera based on location rather than time. Also, are there any other options for the timed trigger beyond just 3 seconds? Like @Mactadpole mentions, that is a little limiting.

Bartman

@PeauProductions will probably chime in but in comments made elsewhere he stated that this is the launch configuration and things like remote trigger will be future additions/developments

J.T.

Spiralling out of control
Interesting little cameras,
I ran the screenshots on the website through imagej with good results, so I brought Blue/NIR.View attachment 25355

Attachments

• Color NDVI TEST.jpg
    Color NDVI TEST.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 431

P carbonneau

Will the MAPIR work with the Solo Gimbal? I have an application which would require oblique shots so I would need the mobility of the gimbal. Ideally, I would like to retain gimbal control in flight and if possible FPV/image downlink in order to be sure I'm shooting the right spot. I can live with the loss of camera control.
P